Weekend Sports Roundup – Nail-biting hoops win

Weekend Sports Roundup – Nail-biting hoops win

A Year 8 basketballer provided the most memorable finish of the weekend’s sport by shooting six points in the final 20 seconds to turn a three-point deficit into a three-point victory.

Leon Parkes (8Yo) nailed a three-pointer after a time out to level the scores; Trinity then got the ball back and he repeated the feat as the siren sounded to give the 9Ds a last-gasp victory against Waverley.

It was one of 16 wins against 24 losses for Trinity’s basketballers. The firsts won 94-72 and, along with the 8Is, remain the only teams still undefeated, while the 10Cs recorded their first win of the season.

The cricket firsts came close to pulling off another unlikely result. Chasing an intimidating St Aloysius total of 363, they lost their first four wickets for five runs before batting on gamely for almost the rest of the match.

Just when an improbable draw was within sight, they lost their last wicket at 5.27pm with just three minutes remaining to be all out for 210.

The 10As were among four winning teams, scoring a dominant 0/120 in reply to 8/116. Nick Streeton (9St) took 4/32, while Ujwal Yadem (9Fo) scored 54 not out and Kingston Huang (9Du) 50 not out.

For the 9Bs Ollie Jessup (8We) scored 55 runs and captured 2/20, while Harry Horwood (7La) excelled with the ball for the 8As, taking 5/16.

Seven of Trinity’s eight water polo teams won, with Orlando Mina (10St) scoring eight goals as the firsts won 14-7.

Tennis teams came out on top 11-3, led by the firsts with a resounding 8-0 win.

Touch football went down 3-5 but the Open As won 6-4 against Reddam.

In table tennis Divisions 3, 4, 5, and 6 had good wins, offsetting two losses, and the School’s lawn bowlers remained unbeaten.

Trinity Athletics Club’s 31 representatives took home one gold, three silver, and five bronze medals from the NSW relays event at SOPAC.

Patrick McMahon (7Du), Sebastian Sentas (7Ar) and Nathan Jones (7Mu)  were part of an U14 800m relay team which finished second, but they went under a 40-year-old meet record to do so.

Share this post