Trinity launches new, expanded internship programme for university students at any stage of their Initial Secondary Teacher Education

Trinity Grammar School offers education university students – from first year to final – paid practical experience.

New internship programme bridges gap between university and employment while working to solve teacher shortages.

Trinity Grammar School is launching a new, expanded internship programme for university students at any stage of their Initial Secondary Teacher Education, helping students to bridge the gap between university and employment while working to solve teacher shortages.

In recent years, teacher supply issues have meant that an increasing number of early career teachers are being thrust into classrooms without adequate experience and mentorship from experienced educators. The short nature of professional experience programmes limits the opportunity for a pre-service teacher to fully immerse themselves in the life, rhythms, and community of a school. Coupled with this is the financial and time commitments of this experience, which can cause strain in the personal lives of the students.

The year-long Trinity Teacher Education Internship offers an opportunity for pre-service teachers to be supported in their development and for Trinity to attract diverse, high-quality graduates.

Tier One of the programme will be available for 1st – 3rd year pre-service students, with a robust induction programme, collaborative and integrated learning sessions on topics such as managing behaviour, report writing and parent-teacher communication, paired with Teacher’s Aide pay and opportunities for casual employment as Study Plus mentor, Trinity’s popular in-school mentoring programme.

Tier Two is available to final year Bachelor/Masters students with many of the same benefits as Tier One, plus one-on-one mentoring and regular observation, participation in the Co-curricular programme, feedback on teaching practice from Trinity Master teachers, and opportunities for casual teaching. Tier Two is paired with remuneration for a conditional accredited Band One Teacher.

Tim Bowden, Headmaster of Trinity Grammar School says that this move is an exciting development.

“Our students and our families benefit when Trinity attracts high quality graduates. It is in our best interests to nurture future leaders in our field on their educational journey. We are delighted to be able to create a structured, immersive programme that will enhance the experience of the pre-service student and potentially attract a diverse range of talented teachers to Trinity.”

Ms Phoebe Hussey, currently interning in the English department as part of the programme’s initial pilot, agrees the immersion is a huge benefit of the internship.

“The internship is helping me grow as a teacher through the exposure to so many classes. I’ve met so many different boys, each with different personalities and learning styles and needs. That exposure has enabled me to learn a lot about differentiating classes and how to cater for different groups.

“Trinity has been my first all-boys school environment and I’ve absolutely loved it,” says Ms Hussey. “It’s been such a fantastic experience, and I feel like I’ve learnt so much more than I have at university or in any of my pracs due to the consistency of being at the School and the involvement in so many different year groups and departments. I think everyone who’s even a little bit interested should apply and hear more about it because it’s such a valuable opportunity.”

Another intern participating in the pilot is Mr Harrison Armour, an Economics Department Intern.

“As a teacher, it has given me a range of different experiences, a range of different classes and classroom settings. From smaller classes where there’s only been about 10 boys, to larger combined classes where there’s maybe 50 or 60 boys in a space … just being able to manage that and the different strategies that come with that.

“But it has also given me time outside of the classroom; I’ve been a part of the Rugby Co-curricular programme and that has allowed me to see boys in a range of different contexts. The student isn’t just how they are inside the classroom, but also how they are outside the classroom. The internship has given me greater depth in understanding that.

“The mentorship experience has been fantastic,” he added. “I have only taught Economics for a few months. Members of my Economics staffroom and faculty have taught Economics for 15 years and the amount of guidance and greater depth of understanding they are giving me is invaluable.”

This has been particularly true, he says, when it comes to writing examinations and marking, getting tips and ideas that are not necessarily taught at university.

“My mentor has been able to give me crucial feedback on my lessons; what works as opposed to theory. At uni you learn theory, but in practice there are some crucial things that change. My mentor has been able to draw on her wealth of experience and pass that down to me.”

It is not the first time Trinity has invested in the Australian education sector, including offering:

• A structured Early Career Teachers’ Programme that involves all teachers at Trinity in their first 1-3 years of teaching and includes
    • fortnightly professional learning sessions in all aspects of professional practice, targeted specifically to teacher need,
    • fortnightly observation of master teachers
    • regular feedback on teaching practice
    • a safe, collegial space for dialogue and building relationships
  • A Doctoral Fellowship that funds one year of paid leave to enable teachers to make substantial progress in completing PhD or EdD studies.
  • Trinity is now open to applicants for its 12-month ‘Teacher Education Internship’ programme, with interviews commencing from the end of Term 3 of 2023.

For more information, to register an expression of interest, or to attend one of the upcoming onsite information events, visit: https://www.trinity.nsw.edu.au/why-trinity/trinity-teacher-education-internships/

Media Contact
Philippa Lowe
Trinity Communications Department
0427 446 629
plowe@trinity.nsw.edu.au

Share this post