In praise of perseverance

In praise of perseverance

Remembrance Day oration underscores the example of Jesus

The value of perseverance has been highlighted at the annual Remembrance Day service in Trinity’s War Memorial Chapel.

Dr Julie Greenhalgh, delivering the main address, said that when she took over as Principal at sister school Meriden, she asked the outgoing Principal what she would need to succeed, and was surprised by the answer: stamina.

“I very quickly realised she was right,” she said.

“You need to start well, and finish well, and persevere in between.

“In fact this became my daily prayer: Lord grant me stamina.

“There is something very special about perseverance, about seeing a journey through.”

She recalled the British runner Derek Redman tearing a hamstring at the 1992 Olympic Games, and eventually hobbling over the finish line unaided after his father had jumped from the stands and helped him to carry on.

“It was a very special moment. Interestingly, I can’t name the winner but I can easily recall who came last.”

Dr Julie Greenhalgh

Perseverance was also modelled “so clearly to us” by Jesus, she said.

“Jesus endured the cross, scorning his pain and shame, because of his love for us and for his father God.

“He persevered to the end. There are many references in the Bible to perseverance in the race of life.

“Paul famously wrote In the Book of Acts: ‘My only aim Is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me.’ And his friend Timothy said: ‘I have fought the good fight; I have finished the race; I have kept the faith.’ ”

Remembrance Day was a time to reflect on the perseverance of Defence personnel whose journey was often “long, harrowing and fatal”, she said.

She told the assembled Cadets present they had shown considerable perseverance on a journey which was often “annoying, inconvenient, and demanding”.

“But you have persevered, and you are about to embark on the last leg of the Cadet journey,” she told the 2023 Year 12 cohort.

Trinity Head Master Tim Bowden told guests the chapel’s foundation stone was laid on Remembrance Day, November 11, in 1956 by the founder of the School, the Right Reverend G. A. Chambers.

The following year, on Remembrance Sunday, the School community gathered for the solemn dedication of the Chapel by the Archbishop of Sydney.

“The Chapel was dedicated to the glory of God and a memorial to Old Boys of the School who died and served in the War 1939-1945. Both occasions were historic in the life of the School,” he said.

The service, led by Chaplain Greg Webster, included the hymns In Christ Alone and Be Thou My Vision.

After the Lord’s Prayer, two scripture readings were given, one by Sophie Brennan, RSM, Cadet Warrant Officer Class One from Meriden, and the other by Ty Garaci, Senior Cadet Under Officer from Trinity.

The School Captain, the Head Master, and a member of the OTU ceremonially turned a page in the Book of Remembrance, and the Deputy Head Master – Policy and Strategy, Craig Sandwell, read the names on the Honour Roll.

Bugler Simon Bakunowski sounded the Last Post before The Ode To The Fallen was read by Malcolm Little, OAM.

Giovanni Portelli Photography © 2022