An Opal card is required for Transport NSW buses, ferries and trains.
Updating an Opal Card
For students who already have an Opal card, it will automatically update for travel in the new school year without you having to re-apply for it in most circumstances.
An updated application is required if:
• The student is progressing from Year 2 to year 3
• The student is progressing from Year 6 to Year 7
• The student’s circumstances change, e.g. change of school, home address or
• school year outside of the usual progression.
Click here to update an application
Making a new application
You will need to do a new application if:
• The student is enrolling in Kindergarten
• Does not have an Opal card
• You are requesting an additional pass as a result of a new shared parental responsibility situation (e.g. joint custody).
Click here to apply for a new card