From the Head Master

From the Head Master

I often comment to friends, who work outside of education, about the breadth of activity that constitutes the experience of students in schools like Trinity. My reflection goes both to the range of opportunities that might open up to any individual student, but also the range of activities that take place across the School.

As the end of this term has arrived with us, I have reflected on the course of the term and all that has been attempted and accomplished in that time. Even in the last week the breadth is astounding.

The Preparatory School’s Year 5 and 6 camps to Bathurst and Canberra, the Field Studies Programme for Year 9, the Cadet Unit’s Annual Field Training (which was relocated, truncated, reprogrammed and commenced, before being cancelled) and the Berea Mission, have all entailed overnight experiences for the boys.

The Black and Green Shield (which involved 31 fixtures in rugby and football competition between Trinity and St Pat’s), the National Track and Field Championships have taken place, and the National Swimming Championships are imminent. The CAS Summer Season sports dinner has taken place at the Canada Bay Club and the end of season sports awards have been presented on quad.

Year 11 and 12 students of the dramatic arts have unleashed their creativity in Cockatoo Island, our Jazz musicians have performed on the quad, and our younger students have taken part in their Easter Hat parade.

The Easter mission has happened with the Middle and Senior Schools and Easter services have been celebrated with the Preparatory and Junior Schools. The Parents and Friends have hosted an end of year BBQ breakfast for Middle and Senior School boys and the Auxiliaries of the various campuses have distributed chocolate goodies to all the boys of the School. I note my particular thanks (as well as the thanks of the entire student community) to Mr John O’Connell and Lindt Chocolate for their repeated generosity in supporting this endeavour!

Of course, even as all this activity has ebbed and flowed around the School, the teaching and learning in our classrooms has continued. As I have made my way around the School, distributing birthday cards and treats, I am continually delighted to see the boys engaging with their learning which has been painstakingly curated and prepared for them by their teachers.

Of course, none of this activity happens without the sustained effort of many people, whose labours and commitment make the breadth of educational opportunity possible. Unsurprisingly, the corollary of this sustained effort is that most of us – students, staff and parents – are ready for a break.

At times like this, the invitation of Jesus is extraordinarily appealing to me. In Matthew 11:28-30 he says “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Without expounding the passage in its context fully, the invitation beautifully opens up the possibility of rest. In a world that is characterised more and more by stress and uncertainty, as we face the ongoing challenges of the pandemic and ‘normal’ life, and as we engage with the wonderfully broad and varied possibilities that are open to us, we become weary. The promise of ‘rest for our souls’ is very welcome.

As you and yours step into the changed rhythm of this term break, whether it is just a change of pace or perhaps a family holiday, I hope it will be a time of rest for you. If the idea of ‘rest for your soul’ is appealing, perhaps you might like to gather with others at your local church to learn from the gentle and humble Saviour, whose death and resurrection we remember this Easter. You will be very welcome.

Detur gloria soli deo

Tim Bowden | Head Master