Grant Emans, class of 1999: Faith and sustainability

Grant studied his Bachelor of Property Economics at UTS after graduating from Trinity. A call to sustainability had him starting a business building Designer Tiny Homes. His Christian faith plays a central role in his business: “While my non-Christian customers might read about my faith on our website, I also try to conduct myself in the most Christian manner I can.

It’s not just about the contracts we sign, the appropriate pricing that we set, what we do with profits, donating where we can. Rather, it’s about my team knowing that their boss trusts God; and the only reason we have work is that he trusts God. They may choose to reject that as a belief system, but I always try to make that known.”

Grant was motivated to begin giving away tiny houses to organisations such as The Salvation Army after reading about the stabbing murder of a homeless man in Maroubra. The tiny houses give locals who are experiencing homelessness a safe, warm space for a night or two as respite, while volunteers and support workers journey with them towards their accommodation and life goals.