Library News | Preparatory School

Library News | Preparatory School

Street Libraries

This past weekend I was out walking in my LGA and noticed an abundance of Street Libraries. For those of you who are unsure what they are, they are small little libraries placed in people’s front gardens. When you visit, you are free to take the books without signing them out, read and then either return or pass them on to a friend. If you have any books you no longer read, you can always pop them into a Street Library so that others may enjoy your books.

In a time of COVID where we are separated from our normal libraries and have limited options for books, Street Libraries are a great alternative. Why not jump onto their website, find your local one and then enjoy a walk with the family to find some new books. Better still, you could start your own! There are tips and tricks on the website. If you do create your own, we would love to hear from you, with a picture of course!

Premier’s Reading Challenge

A huge congratulations to all students and their families for completing the challenge this year. We know this year has not been easy, but that hasn’t stopped our boys! It is now over, but that doesn’t mean reading is over. Please continue to read and reach out if you need help accessing books during this time. Results and statistics on the challenge will be shared early next term and certificates will be handed out once they arrive at school and we are back onsite.

Author spotlight- Nathan Luff

I’m one of five boys and we all grew up on a farm outside of Yass, New South Wales. I’ve always loved books and now I get to write them! Chicken Stu was my first book, and it is inspired by the antics I got up to with my four brothers on our home farm. It was followed in 2013 by Bad Grammar, a story set at a remote boarding school for rough boys. 2021 marks the release of a new junior series called The Nerd Herd in collaboration with the very talented illustrator, Chris Kennett.

Individually they’re meek, mild and soft.

But together, with their combined talents,

they’re a herd. The Nerd Herd.

Abigail Nel | Inquiry Learning Integrator